Jonathan E. Retsky
Partner, Deputy Co-Chair, Intellectual Property Group
Jonathan Retsky focuses his practice on complex intellectual property litigation. He has more than 30 years’ experience handling all forms of patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret cases, in both bench and jury trials, Markman hearings, and all aspects of pre-trial discovery and motion practice. He also has experience in appellate briefing and has argued before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
With a background in electrical engineering Retsky also has experience in patenting computer software and hardware, semiconductors, telecommunications equipment and devices, consumer electronics, and business methods, as well as licensing negotiations and agreements, counseling for technology transfer and due diligence, and providing opinions of counsel regarding patent non-infringement and invalidity.
Previously, Retsky served as Corporate Vice President and Director of Patent Operations at Motorola Inc., where he oversaw Motorola’s worldwide patent preparations, prosecution and maintenance activities. He also oversaw Motorola’s defensive IP litigation and pre-litigation matters.
- Intellectual Property
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Regulation, Compliance & Advisory
- Israel Practice
U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- The University of Texas at Austin, J.D., 1989
- Bradley University, B.S., 1984
Civic Involvement & Honors
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2009, 2008, 2018
- IAM1000 - "not just a great litigator, but a top strategist" and "at the vanguard of developments in the high-technology area", 2016
- IAM250 Leading IP Strategist, 2009
- Leading Lawyers Network (Intellectual Property, and Computer Technology)
- Early Markman Hearings in Troll/NPE Litigation: Taking the Club out of the Hands of Trolls,” Intellectual Property Today (June 2013).
- “Best Practices in Budgeting for Patent Litigation,” Vol. 1, No. 6 ABALandslide (July/August 2009).
- “Panning for Gold Nuggets in Your Patent/IP Portfolio.” SkyRadio, United Airlines (February 2005).
- “Patent and Trade Secret Protection of Computer Technology.” VI Software L.J.(2003).
- “Six Steps to Negotiating Successfully Through a Software Audit.” XIII Computer Law Strategist (August 1996).
- “Computer Software Protection in 1996: A Practitioner’s Nightmare.” J. Marshall L. Review(1996).
- Adjunct Professor: “Contemporary Technology & Intellectual Property Law (IP 421) – The John Marshall Law School (1994-1999).
- Speaker, “Preparing for Patent Warfare, Trolls, and Other IP issues,” Corporate Counsel Institute 2012, Practising Law Institute (Sept. 2012).
- Speaker, “Recent Developments in Patent Law and Their Impact on Patent Litigation,” Patent Litigation 2011 (Oct. 2011).
- Panelist, “Maxing Out.” IP Law & Business (February 2005).
- Speaker: “Licensing in the Electronic Industry,” Licensing Executive Society (USA and Canada), October 1999 (Puerto Rico).
- Speaker: “Computer Software Protection – A Practitioner’s Nightmare,” 40th Annual Conference on Developments in Intellectual Property, February 22, 1996 (Chicago, IL).
- Moderator: “International Strategies for Patenting Computer Software,” International Bar Association, October 21, 1996 (Berlin, Germany).