Joan is licensed to practice law in Virginia and New York, but her trademark docket includes clients from all over the U.S. Her practice concentrates on intellectual property transactions in the areas of entertainment, arts, publishing, music, fashion and luxury goods law. Joan’s background gives her a unique perspective of the literary and fashion law landscapes. The book she co-authored, Feng Shui Love, hit the “Chick-lit” world with complementary merchandise and design lines. Her experience in the fashion modeling industry landed her on the Katie Couric show in 2014. The episode high-lighted the difficulties child models encounter and parental involvement in the their children’s careers. Joan has a master’s degree in criminal justice and is a licensed private investigator. This background has proven valuable in working with authorities to have counterfeit goods removed from online sites such as E Bay. Joan was a law Clerk to the Honorable Harry L. Carrico, Supreme Court of Virginia. Prior to law school, Joan had a career as a certified mediator in Virginia and Florida where she successfully settled numerous civil cases.
Check out Joan’s most recent published article in Virginia Lawyer!
Harry L. Carrico, Virginia Supreme Court
Fashion Law Institute, Fordham School of Law, Certificate
Barry University Dwayne Andreas School of Law, J.D.
Stetson College of Law, International Business Law Course Concentration
Virginia Commonwealth University, M.S.
Virginia Commonwealth University, B.A.
New York 2019
U.S. Supreme Court 2015
Federal Bar 4th Circuit 2014
Federal Bar Association Intellectual Property Section
American Bar Association Forum on Entertainment & Sports Industries
The Model Alliance
Virginia State Bar Intellectual Property Law Section
International Association of Entertainment Lawyers
Greater Richmond Intellectual Property Association
Fredericksburg Bar Association
James River WritersNew York Lawyers for the Arts
Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts
- EU v. US Fashion Law, International CLE in Vienna Austria
- ABA Entertainment and Sports Forum Virginia Bar CLE “A Primer on Fashion Law”
- The Northern Virginia Film Festival “Fashion in the Film Industry”
- Virginia Fashion Week “Protecting your Designs and Fashion Model Contracts”
- James River Writers “Legal Panel”
- The Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce “Protecting your Brand, Registering your Trademark”
- Fredericksburg Toastmasters “Writing Romantic Comedy”
- RVA Fashion Academy “Designers, Branding and Logos”
- Virginia Equine Artists Association “How to register a copyright”
- Bon Air Artists Association “Preventing copyright infringement”
- Fredericksburg Lunch n Learn, “Intro to Fashion Law”
- Tennessee Bar Entertainment and Sports Forum 2016 “Fashion Law Couture”
- A Fashion Law Primer, Virginia CLE